Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Introducing the Players

My family is your basic all american insanity. Suburbanite Yankee (that's me) and Rural Southerner (my own personal Yard King) meet while doing summer outdoor drama. We colocate and decide we actually like each other enough for permanent long-term co-insanity (aka marriage). We buy house in suburbs of major metropolis, and begin the all-american dream of eye-ball deep debt.


Couple years later we join the world of parenthood. Our dear daughter is born. She is the Expert, just ask her she will debate you on the subject. After a few more months my poor hubby began to experience apocolyptic hatred for I-495.


I have to interject here. Nobody loves I-495 but those of us raised around it just accept it as a known evil. People raised in rural america should NEVER EVER have to commute on a daily basis on 495...it's just WRONG. They are obviously out of their league and hence either very angry ALOT or very dangerous, making experienced 495ers angry. A lose-lose situation. The entire area is a mess. It's as though a asphalt construction company can't decide what it's doing and uses it as a training site for more important projects. It wasn't until I traveled elsewhere that I realized that orange drums and half chewed up asphalt is NOT a permanent thing in the state of Virginia, they DO know how to complete roads. MD side isn't MUCH better, but they seem to COMPLETE one project before they destroy another section. VA...it's just cyclic.


But I digress....So, we moved. This seems simple unless you are an OCD, control freak that doesn't do change well (that's me). SO, at the age of 30 with a 1 year old, I finally ran away from home. Sounds insane, but my job came with me. I work from home and drive back to MD about twice a month. Because of schedules I take the kids with me. Yes, I am crazy, but necessity trumps crazy. This process was supposed to be "just until I got a local job". The EXPERT is now 4 and we now have 2 kids. You gotta love this economy.


The crash tester arrived 7 1/2 months ago. He is already up to no good, moving around and trying to climb even though he doesn't stand well. Chases the cats, pulls his sisters hair, but he has a grin that can crack the hardest exterior.


So there you have it, the Yard King, the WFH Mom, the Expert 4 year old daughter, and the 7 1/2 month old Crash Tester son. Add a couple cats in a beach box house in the OBX and you got a recipe for madness.




1 comment:

  1. check your profile... I have it on good authority that you are not male - not after hatching the Expert and Crash Tester!

    ReplyDelete